Marrying Keeley's 10 Types of Innovation and Rowan Gibsons 4 Lenses of Innovation

Two very practical books on innovation are:

I will review them for BOOKS in due course but for now I am thinking about connections between the thinking models in them.

Keeley’s book introduces his ten types of innovation: profit model, network, structure, process, product performance, product system, channel, service, brand, and customer engagement. It includes a playbook of a dozen or more “innovation plays” for each type. For example “metered billing” is one of the plays in profit model that was adopted by ZipCar and others that transformed how car hire could be paid for. Interestingingly Keeley’s profit model plays look very like Adrian Slywotsky’s profit patterns from The Art of Profitability (another excellent book, but I digress).

Gibson’s book introduces his four lenses of innovation: harnessing trends, challenging orthodoxy, understanding user needs, leveraging resources. These are powerful ways of looking at how to do something more valuable and more desirable for customers. For example in “Challenging Orthodoxy” he shows how innovation is often about taking an assumption that is “baked in” to a field and turning it on its head. For example until the iPhone all phones had a physical keyboard and it was not widely believed that a phone without a keyboard could be successful. Apple challenged that and now all phones are touchscreen only, a new orthodoxy!

Something I’ve been thinking about recently is how to combine these two ways of thinking. Are they the same? Or somehow orthogonal concerns? What does their intersection look like?